Sunday, April 25, 2010

Where I started

I've been playing miniature games for about 20 years. When I was a child my aunt dated a guy who was a D&D freak but my mother was really against any form of RPG due to the satanic panic that occured in the 80s. In anycase I use to have my aunt's boyfriend tell me the tales of his twin elf character's adventures. She bought me that old Dragonlance NES game for my birthday when I was about 7. Back to my origins in mini-gaming, it started off about 20-21 years ago when while watching TV I saw an add for Heroquest.
(the UK and US commericals were pretty much the same and yes, you are never the same.)

I was amazed and I had my parents get me it that Xmas. I recall playing that game with my dad, uncle and later on when my brother got a little older. It was a decent game and I was fascinated with the models. I really liked the Chaos Warriors and the Chaos/Neutral model. A year or less Heroquest expansions came out and I got those(2 of them had more of the same models, 2 of them had newer models including a female elf and a female barbarian). Shortly after I picked up Mutant Chronicles which wasn't as good but had interesting models. During that time I started collecting the old Ral Partha models and when I was about 11 I recieved a painting kit. The problem is those paints were pretty horrible and weren't basic colors(there weren't any blues, blacks, whites and were pretty ugly colors). I recall going to Allied Hobbys(when they existed back then) and picked up some model with my dad. My dad looked over the Citadel/Games-Workshop minis while I grabbed another Ral Partha model for my collection. He picked up a dwarf model from the GW line, saw the price and placed it back with the remark of- "Who the hell are they kidding?".

Well dad, you know who they're kidding.

So time passed, I got into Magic: The Gathering, left that after Portals/Ice Age, played some more CCGs(got into RPGs finally but thats for another post). When I was about 13 or 14 I got into Warhammer Fantasy. I picked up the basic game box(4th edition which came with Lizardmen and Brettonians, two armys I had no interest in) and that Xmas I had my family buy me nothing but warhammer models. While I got mostly Chaos Warriors, I still had alot of stuff for other armys(I didn't know the complete rules, I thought all chaos was one army till I started reading the book that Xmas evening in which I was sorta wrong and I had a unit or two of Dark Elf warriors). For about another year I put together models and played mock games with my brother till I decided to go to the local gaming store. Thats when I got into 40k. I slowly but surely built up forces of Eldar and then got into Chaos. It took me forever to get 1500 points of Chaos Marines and I took what daemon models i had in my fantasy army and popped them into my marines. I played from that time till now in Chaos. Alot of my extra stuff I gave away or sold or traded away. At the current time I have nothing but Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Daemons army-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment